We, members of collettivof, are interested in photographic practices that make use of these elements and enhance them.
As part of this approach, we have set some points that embody the meaning of the cultural operation we intend to give life to:
- Photography has many functions and many fields of application but we deal with photography as art.
- Photography does not serve to reproduce reality. Rather, it re-produces it, that is, it produces it again, gives it a new consistency, reveals its essence by managing its appearance.
- Photographic writing is not comparable to hobbies or sports, therefore competitions and trophies do not make sense.
- Photography is a selection oriented by aesthetic, semantic and / or narrative criteria.
- A photograph can be articulated beyond its own image, but not so much that it forgets the original frame.
- Photographic writing is also a communication tool but it is above all an expression of poetics. Its communicative ability is an indirect consequence of the intensity and depth of an author.
- Poetics can only be captured by a set of photographs and not by single images.
- Photographic culture serves photographers as much as literary culture serves writers.
- Photographic writing can prescind the technical tools with which photography takes place.
- The knowledge of the techniques is however necessary to implement conscious choices and to not end up with purely random results.
As part of our activities, we are looking for authors and visitors who share these positions; positions that we will take into account in the organisation of all our initiatives.
We therefore hope to be able to make a contribution to the growth of photographic culture, with events based on the Municipality of Palermo but of national and international scope. As a matter of fact, we know it's necessary for photographic cultures to be situated internationally in order to grow and develop.
The artistic director